PP 54 - 59
Williamston Female College
It is unclear how many years Mary went to local schools. In 1878, however, she was a student at Williamston Female College, some thirty miles from home. It is also unclear how she chose this particular school, as the Reidsville Female College was not only much closer to home but was also run by the Reverend R.H. Reid, the minister at Nazareth Presbyterian Church and the man who performed her parents' marriage. Mary may have preferred the philosophy or the curriculum at Williamston, or, perhaps, like many seventeen-year old girls, she simply wanted to go to school a little bit farther from home. In 1876 the Danville Richmond Railroad laid a track through Beech Springs, and a new town called Welford developed around the new depot and water tower. Mary could catch the train in Welford and transfer in Greenville to go to Williamston.
Williamston Female College developed from unlikely beginnings. Dr. Samuel Lander (the same
"S. Lander" who authored Our Own Arithmetic) had taught in North Carolina and served as a professor at the Spartanburg Female College before deciding to return to the pastorate. In 1871 Lander arrived in the small town of Williamston, accompanied by his wife and seven children, to serve as the new Methodist preacher. As there was no available housing, the Lander family moved into a vacant hotel building. Within two months the Landers had hired teachers and recruited thirty-six students for a girls' school. The privately operated college proved remarkably successful. In 1904, when it outgrew the Williamston facility, the college was relocated to Greenwood, South Carolina, where it still operates as Lander University. According to Samuel Lander, the object of the school was "to furnish at low rates, to those young ladies who desire it, a thorough education, as far as its course extends, giving them opportunity, encouragement, and assistance, to lay deep and well the foundation, and erect theron, with care and patience, the beauteous superstructure of accurate scholarship, combined in symetrical proportions with physical vigor, cultivated manners, and sanctified affections."
The Williamston curriculum featured a "One Study" plan, allowing students to focus on one department for a five week period. The four departments were Mathmatics, Natural Sciences, Latin and Belles-Lettres. Although himself a Methodist minister, Lander stressed that the school was "strictly non-sectarian...and, while it will be our constant effort to induce the ungodly to embrace Christianity, no one will be allowed to join any branch of the Church without the approval of her parents." As to discipline, Lander stated the aim that "the government of the Institution shall be that of a well ordered Christian family. No espionage is practiced, but, instead, every practicable effort is made to cultivate mutual confidence between teachers and pupils."
Lander's educational philosophy is further reflected in his requirement that each student read "privately every day a prescribed number of pages in some approved book of acknowledged merit and practical value." The college also emphasized musical instruction: "Our pupils all receive stated lessons, free of charge, in the science of Vocal Music, with especial reference to cultivation and practice of sacred song...we regard Instrumental Music, not as a mere expensive luxury, but as a very valuable study for the cultivation of the mind, and as an economical instrumentality for making home attractive, and for cultivating harmony and happiness in the family circle." Instruments specified for this edifying experience were "The Piano-forte', the Guitar, the Reed Organ, and the Orchestra Bells."
Physical education included a twice-daily routine of "light calisthentic exercises, under the inspiring stimulus of a stirring march." The school offered students the use of a piece of gymnastic equipment. "Dr. Johnson's Health Lift, under the immediate supervision of a prudent lady teacher, securing them from any injurious effects which might accrue from it's excessive use." Students were also encouraged to take regular walks to the mineral spring, or "occasional romps in the play-ground," as "protection against the enervating tendency of a sedentary life."
Williamston alumnae from the early years recalled Lander's participation in the prescribed outings: Early in the morning the signal was given, and a happy group assembled at the front door, all eager for the morning walk with the beloved president. Arriving at the spring, each partook of the sparkling water; but more enjoyable still was the sparkle of wit, as story after story, or incident, was recounted to the listening girls. Whenever one saw Dr. Lander outside of school hours, he was surrounded by a group of girls, all fascinated by the easy style with which he dispensed his unending fund of story and antecdote.
Mary was enrolled in the Collegiate Department for the spring session, which ran from early February until June 20, 1878. It is not clear when she first entered, as the college's "semi annual plan" allowed students to enroll either spring or fall. A single surviving letter from Mary to her father offers a glimpse into the concerns of a seventeen-year-old schoolgirl, including family, health, studies, clothing, religious activities, and her classmates. It also reveals much about Mary's attitudes about herself, her family and others.
Williamston SC
May 15, 1878
Dear Pa,
I received your postal this morning, also one from Jimmie saying ma was no better but I guess you were at home last . [Correction in original] I hope she will be well in a few days. You didn't say how your back was, suppose it must be better. I also received a tolerably long letter from Sis this morning. She says cousin Maggie doesn 't go about much. Gus has managed to get her out to ride once. I am somwhat surprised at her. She need not wait for pleasure to come to her, if she does, it will not be apt to make it's appearance.
I have been quite sick for sometime. I feel better this week. The people had the picnic on last Saturday. Think it was nearly a failure. Very few attended. Mr. Lander made a speech for them.
Mathmatics will soon be over. Friday is the last day. I won't grade out by a half-bushel. Very few in our class will manage to get out. I haven't learned anything this Section. I was so irregular in my studies. My Arithmetic was nothing of importance. I ought to have been in interest or something of that kind. But I had to do what Mr. Lander said. There are so many contrary girls. I would like for him to have a better opinion of me.
I will be glad to see my clothes coming. I would like to have the express paid on it at Wellford. That is, if you can arrange it so. Then it will be less trouble to me especially. Mr. Lander gets enough without that. I haven't but two pairs of summer stockings. Shall I get them here? Or will you get them at Wellford? I will have to have a piece or two of ribbon but will send off and get them where I can get them cheaper. If you get this before you leave home, send my slippers and the pink bows I had last summer. If you don't get it in time, it won't matter much. I ought to have written this last week, but was sick and forgot.
There were two Presbyterian ministers here last Saturday and Sunday. Both from Due West. They preached some splendid sermons. The older was named Mr. Pearson. The young man was a Mr. Brownlee, just through college. He is going to preach for them the rest of the year. He preaches splendidly. Has a good education. Two school girls joined on Sunday.
Miss Hattie is in bed today. She has sore throat. She suffered all night and all day today. We couldn't sleep any scarcely last night. I thought she would choke. All she could do to breathe.
Carrie Parrot received a box from home two weeks ago with several new calicos and a beautiful white dress, gaiters & etc. Three large cakes and several other things. Tell you what, we eat in a hurry.
As I have nothing to interest you, I will close.
Your daughter,
Mary Snoddy
(continued)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment