Paul's Note - The following transcription is taken from Samuel Lander's original journal from the years 1855 - 1856. This journal is part of the Lander collection at the Caroliniana Library on the University of South Carolina campus in Columbia. Two of the journals including this one will be on loan to us during the month of October '09 to be displayed in the Monsanto Art Gallery as part of the S. Lander Collection.
New Institute N.C July 1855
Wednesday 25th. Our session opened this morning at 9 o’clock with about thirty-five students.
See Page (blank missing date)
Thursday 26th. Our classes commenced recitation. My six are Sallust Latin Reader, Caesar writing in the forenoon and Greek Reader no. 1_no 2. Greek and Latin Grammar, Reading and Spelling in the afternoon. The writing, i.e. setting copies only occupies the last half hour of the morning session. Reading and Spelling the last half hour of the afternoon. The remaining Classes occupy 50 minutes each. Greek Grammar reciting on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and Latin Grammar on Monday and Wednesdays. The Greek Grammar Class embraces the members of the two Greek Reader Classes, and the Latin Grammar Class embraces those of the Sallust Latin Reader and Caesar Classes.
I attended a called communication of our Lodge after supper.
Friday 27th Nothing unusual
Expenses this month $76.20 ½
Paid $73.671/2
Still due (2.53)
Wednesday 1st. The day passed by quite smoothly nothing very unusual taking place.
Thursday 2nd. Congressional Election. We gave the school holiday all day. In the morning I had a discussion with Uncle Lawson Nesbitt on the principles of the Know Nothing Party. After dinner I went with Bro. Clegg to Williamsburg and voted for Mr. Scales, the Democratic Candidate for Congress in the District. Mary Nesbitt commenced taking music lessons.
Friday 3rd. My singing Class remained after school this evening and consists of eleven members. Bro. Clegg left here after dinner for Mocksville. The Lodge met after supper.
I paid P. Tomlin a note that he held on me interest .50
I bought this book some pens and ink. James Q Vestal (1.70)
Friday 10th. Nothing unusual in school. The Lodge met on a special case, and I paid the secretary my dues up to this time 1.25
Saturday 11th. I went with Dr. Love after breakfast to the bridge below Dr. Gillam’s, and while there at work, H.M. Austin came and gave Mr. W.D. Smith a cowhiding and caning.
Sunday 12th I attended Sunday School in the morning and we completed our organization_ At 3 o’clock pm, I went to Classmeeting, which was managed principally by Bro. Abernethy. Thence I went home and took supper with Uncle Lawson and after supper went to Prayer meeting led by Bro. P. Tomlin. I finished reading the book of Job.
Monday 13th – Paul Barringer Greir. Conductor. My Singing Class met this morning at half after 8 o’clock for the first time. I informed them of my plan of operations and received from them an expression of approval. I then divided the whole into two classes consisting of 9 Bass and 15 Treble. We sang a few our our old Tunes – School passed off very pleasantly and at night the Singing Society met, and after singing some Tunes, it was agreed that the Treasurer collect all money due the society, sell ass the candles and candlesticks and tax the members equally enough to pay the rest of the metronome which was ordered, and that the society present the metronome to the New Institute school and be dissolved from this time forth. ------------------
Tuesday 14th. George Elisha Greenlee, Conductor. My Treble Class met and Mr. Baird chose Castalia, C.M. 140. Nothing unusual at school. Laura and Lilla went and spent the day at Sister Wilson’s. Lilla showed her first tooth this morning, being just nine months and a half old. I went with the buggy for Lanva after school – My head ached – Weather very warm. (rope, rails) I bought some bitter from Dr. Love for Laura’s neuralgia
Wednesday 15th – Allen Angus McPherson Hamby. Cond. My Bass Class met and William Baxter Clegg chose Woodstock C.M. 154 School as usual. Laura and Lilla as sweet as usual and a little sweeter. Little Lilla is beginning to love her Papa as she ought. She will come from her Mama to me almost always. We received the Hokenville Express from which we find that it now ceases its existence. I also received two number of the “Mountain Torrent” published at Hillsville Carroll County Virginia. Health pretty good. Weather warm. Rain in the afternoon. I finished reading Lockhart’s Life of Napoleon. Mary Smith commenced embroidery.
Thursday 16th. Alvin Nathanial Holmes, Conductor. My Treble Class met and sang two or three times pretty well. Health now good. Weather hot. We had a rich treat of watermelons after school. After supper I went with Bro. Blackwell’s and sat till 9 o’clock. I commenced reading Life of Mary Queen of Scots.
Friday 17th. Jesse I Humphries, Conductor. My whole singing class met this morning, and the school sang Greenville. In the afternoon instead of the Grammar Classes, the School met for Declamation, and we went down the roll as far as ( ). Laura and Lilla are getting sweeter every day. I wrote a letter to Phillips, Sampson & Co. about the Standard Readers and commenced a letter to Charlie Powell. We received a “Musical Review” “Standard” and “Message”. Health very good. Weather very warm. Laura and I took a walk after school down the creek.
Saturday 18th. Laura and Lilla kept me company nearly all day. Maj. Postell spent some time with us after dinner, and as he was leaving, Mr. Wells from Gaston arrived with his brother to go to school. We went with him through the new building. I finished my letter to Charlie Powell, and also wrote one to the “Executive Committee of the Fayetteville Female High School” asking for more definite information in regard to that Institution. We received a “Vicksburg Whig”. Health very good. Weather quite cool and pleasant.
Sunday 19th Laura and I went to Sunday School, and I had four additions to my class. After school, I went with Bro. Clegg to Moss’es Church, and there heard him preach the Funeral of Mr. Austin from Hebrews 9 Chapter 27 28 verses. The two ( ) Wells went and returned with us, and took dinner with us. At 4 o’clock we went and organized the Bible Class by making Bro. Clegg Leader and Bro. Turner Vice. At night I heard Bro. Clegg preach from Romans 6. 22 23 verses. Health very good. Weather cool. Fire very comfortable in the morning.
Monday 20th. Charles Washington Keeler, Conductor. My Bass Class met and Mr. Cook, whose time it was to choose a tune, being sick, he introduced no new tune. The school sang Martyn. Bro. Clegg had to go to Statesville to count as a witness the Smith H Austin cases and the management of the School fell upon my shoulders. The students behaved better than usual. Laura and Lilla went over the Mr. Lumers after dinner and remained there until I went over after school. We took supper and got home just at dark. Mrs. Turner being absent at Mrs. Nesbitts, we met her as were coming home. Health very good. Weather cool and pleasant. Miss Fannie York commenced taking music lessons(20 months married)
Tuesday 21st. Robert Osborn Linston, Conductor. My Treble Class met and Benjamin Franklin Clegg chose Succoth L.M. 75. The School went on quite smoothly. Bro Clegg, however still absent. I wrote a few lines to Pa. (bunch of braid) Health pretty good. Weather pleasant with rain.
Wednesday 22nd – Lewis William Little, Conductor. My Bass Class met. School behaved quite well. After school Bro. Clegg returned from Statesville. Austin was tried for the affray of the 11th inst. And was condemned to ten days imprisonment and 100 dollars fine. He appealed to the Superior Court. We received the “Academy Vocalist”, the “Young Sharom?), “Fire Fly Polka” “Herculean Quickstep” and Invitation a la Valse” from Mason Brothers. Sermon of the Bible Society from the 119th Psalm 162nd verse. “I rejoice at thy word, as one that findeth great spoil.” I subscribed. Health good. Weather pleasant. Storm at dusk.
Thursday 23rd. George Padtee McConnaughey, Conductor. My Treble Class met. Nothing unusual at school. Lilla was sweeter than ever before. Millie and James Neely went to Dobbins and brought home some peaches. Robt. Carter killed 4 bullbats after school. Health tolerable. Weather various. I had to run down to the woods with an umbrella for Lilly on account of a sudden hard shower coming up while Harriet had her walking.
(ESSENCE OF TIME REQUIRES ONLY HIGHLIGHTS TRANSCRIBED FROM THIS POINT ON) – PC
From Tuesday Aug 28th, 1855
“I loved Laura and Lilla very much today.”
From Wednesday Aug 29th, 1855
“School went on as usual except that at two o’clock we went up to the Lodge and Bro. Clegg conferred the Mason’s Daughters’s degree on Laura and Mrs. Doub, Mrs. Blackwell and Mrs. Holland.
“Lilla is a little sick”
From Saturday September 1, 1855
“Health tolerable. Weather pleasant. Lilla’s wagon came from the shop and the children had much use of it nearly all day. I finished reading Joan of Arc.”
From Wednesday September 5, 1855
“My Alto class consisting of Misses Clegg, Howell, Lemfie and Margaret Turner met but when half through the time, a young man rode up and told Miss Campbell that her Father died on yesterday. This dissolved our meeting. My classes recited about as usual. We received “Harper’s Magazine”, “Vicksburg Whig’s”, “Standard”, “Carolina Intelligence” (instead of the “Hokesville Express”).”Message” a letter from Pa enclosing one from Dr. Wm. A. Smith in reference to a professorship in Randolph Macon College, Virginia. Nothing definite, Health pretty good, Weather rainy and cold. Laura made Lilla two new dresses.
From Monday September 10th, 1855
“Lilla kissed me today for the first time. Bro. Clegg returned from Mocksville after dinner. Dr. Love sat with us a while after supper. Laura bought 4 ½ dozen of buttons. Health pretty good. Weather very warm. I lent Mr. Stowe my Butler’s Atlas, and Sam Weber my Sargent’s third reader. I finished reading the book of Psalms. Court in Ashe.
From Saturday September 15th, 1855
“I wrote a long letter to Pa mostly about Randolph Macon.”
From Sunday September 16th, 1855
“We went to Sunday School as usual. There was no preaching. At 4pm I attended the Bible Class and staid (sic) there till nearly dark. My head ached nearly all day. I finished reading the book of Proverbs.”
From Thursday September 18th, 1855
“Lilla sick and fretful nearly all day. Harriet sick…..weather very warm. Reading Ecclesiastes.”
From Saturday Sept. 22nd, 1855
“I spent some time in the morning making an axle-tree for Lilla’s wagon. And after dinner I wrote to Bro. Williams, enclosing $142 to be sent by Bro. Clegg on Monday next – We received a letter from Sister Frank, a “Standard”, “Whig” and “Message”. Whig in mourning for the death of it’s editor. Sister Frank’s letter told us of the birth of Mrs. H.H. Smith’s little son (PENCIL WRITTEN NOTE IN JOURNAL SAYS “GOV. HOKE SMITH OF GEORGIA) – of the death of Miss Mat. Canaday. Mr. McCall made my sliding scale, but would not charge for it. Bro Clegg went to Statesville. Health good. Weather pleasant. Sunny rain. Laura Sick.”
From Monday Sept. 24th, 1855”
“After school Bro. Nesbitt called and he and I walked down to Mr. Howell’s but found him not at home. Uncle Lawson gave me a general indefinite talk about the management of our school. He took supper with me. Laura was not very well.”
From Tuesday Sept. 25th, 1855
“I wrote a letter to Pa. telling him the substance of Uncle Lawson’s conversation. Bro. Clegg returned from Taylorsville and brought me a letter from Bro. William, enclosing the money that I sent him on yesterday. He is to take up my note from Mr. Williamson. He advises in favor of Dr. Smith’s proposition.
From Thursday Sept 27th, 1855
“I took a walk with Bro. Clegg before school; and he told me of his plan of leaving here for Kansas, and of giving me the control of the school. School went on as usual. Health very good. Weather cool.”
From Friday Sept 28th, 1855
“After school I took a long walk and on returning was perfectly surprised to find Pa and Sister Sallie there. Pa had received a letter from me from Dr. Smith asking me whether I would permit him to offer my name as an applicant for the professorship (Adjunct) of Languages in Randolph Macon College. Pa left home this morning and left all well.”
From Saturday Sept 29th, 1855
“I spent the main part of the morning in conversation with pa. After dinner we walked to see Bro. C’s farm and I asked his opinion about Dr. Smith’s proposition. He advised me by all means to permit my name to go before the trustees, and promised that if necessary I might leave here at the end of the next session. So I wrote to Dr. Smith to that effect. I sent the letter by Pa to Lincolnton to be mailed.”
From Monday, December 3, 1855
“My headache increased during the day. I took in breakfast and very little dinner. I went to school both morning and evening but left both times before the close. After a light supper, my head was much better and I wrote three pages to Pa.
From Thursday, December 20, 1855 (HEADING IS LINCOLNTON, NC)
“We received some newspapers giving accounts of four days of Dr. Smith’s trial. This day two years ago my Laura and I were married. Bless her old dear soul.”
From Monday December 31st, 1855
“Weather cold. I made an arrangement with Ozwald Wells to go to New Institute tomorrow if I get no letter from Randolph M. College. But I received a letter from Dr. Smith by the Charlotte Mail and this destroyed our arrangement. Part of his letter is as follows: “My dear Sam, I reached home last evening from our long and harassing session of Conference, and hasten to say to you, that your nomination as adjunct Professor of Languages in this Institution was confirmed by a large meeting of Trustees at Conference. The session will open the 17th of January. I had to whip Harriet soundly this morning. We spent the day at Ma’s.”
From Tuesday January 1, 1856 (Lincolnton)
NEW YEARS DAY. Laura worked at the skirt of her new dress. Cousin McDaniel helped her work all day. Lilla stayed down at Ma’s and showed a new tooth. I got my watch from Mr B’s (.20 cents)….I finished reading the Bible for the eighth time.”
From Thursday January 10, 1856 (Lincolnton)
“I left Lincolnton at 8 o’clock in the stage and arrived without accident at Charlotte at 3pm. Made some purchases for self and others and left Charlotte on the car at about 5 o’clock. In the car I found Fay, Rush, Earnhardt etc, and arrived about midnight at Jamestown, the end of the railroad for present. We went to bed. I don’t know who I slept with, but ‘twas neither Laura or Lilla.
From Saturday January 12, 1856
“From Ridgeway I wrote a letter of directions to my precious Laura. Oh! Here I long for her peaceful presence! My lonely heart resides here among strangers, to thing of the distance intervening between her and me. “
From Wednesday January 30, 1856 (Randolph Macon College, Virginia)
“My twenty third birthday. I commenced making my class in their scholarship. Lilla is not well”
From Saturday Oct 4th, 1856
“At about sunrise Laura felt rather badly and continued getting worse until about 9 the Doctor Love pronounced her in labor. At 12 precisely our little Daisy was born.”
From Sunday Oct 5th, 1856
“Laura and Daisy are both doing as well as possible.”
From Saturday October 11, 1856
“Little Daisy one week old weighs seven and half pounds. She has not cried yet, but laughs frequently.”
From Tuesday October 28, 1856
“Daisy weighs 9 ½ pounds.
From Saturday November 1, 1856
“Daisy weighs 10 pounds, 4 weeks old. Laura not very well in the evening. Daisy laughed loud in her sleep.
From Tuesday November 4th, 1856
Presidential Election Candidates are James Buchanan Pres and John C. Breckinridge V. Pres. Democrats Millard Fillmore Pres and Andrew Jackson V Pres Whig & Know Nothings C Fremont Pres. And M L. Dayton V Pres. () soil and abolitionists. I did not go to the election. School as usual.
From Saturday November 15th, 1856
“…Daisy weighs 11 ½ pounds – 6 weeks old.
From Saturday November 22, 1856
“..Daisy weighs 12 pounds – 7 weeks old
From Saturday December 6th, 1856
“The baby weighs 13 ¾ pounds – 9 weeks. Pa objected to its name being Daisy and we intend now to call it Martha at his request
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment