Friday, February 13, 2009

Excerpt from Wofford College Archives - My memories of Wofford College by James Henry Carlisle Jr., son of Dr. James H. Carlisle

Commencement of 1902

“A very touching and dramatic incident occurred during the delivery of the diplomas to the class, by Wofford's honored President. Dr. Carlisle says, “that just 26 years ago the first class to which I delivered a diploma, as President of the college. I delivered a diploma to Hon. Geo. E. Prince, a member of that class. This morning, with the other graduates, and for the last time, I will deliver diplomas as President of this institution, I will present one to Mr. Norman Prince, a member of the class of 1902, and son of Hon. G. E. Prince.” “On the rostrum sat Dr. Samuel Lander, the grandfather of Mr. Norman Prince, who fifty years ago to the day, received his diploma from Randolph-Macon College of Virginia.” From Daily Herald.

“Dr. Carlisle then called up the ladies of the audience to rise for a moment in token of and respect for the noble and far reaching work and labors of Dr. S. Lander as a Christian Educator of young women. The response was unanimous and eloquent in its silence, and deeply touched Dr. Lander.

[Samuel Lander was president of Williamston Female College, a Methodist-related institution in Anderson County that moved to Greenwood and became Lander College. It remained a Methodist institution until the late 1940s, when control was transferred to Greenwood County. Today it is part of the state university system.]

No comments: